Wednesday 1 April 2015

1/30 Rachel McKibbens Exercise #1

Today is the first month of the 30/30 challenge: 30 poems in 30 days. Also loving known as NaPoWriMo (National Poetry Writing Month). I decided to use some prompts prepared by Rachel McKibbens to fuel this spring's writing. You can find her stuff at: rachelmckibbens.blogspot.ca. Happy Writing Friends!!

~~~~~


Exercise #1
Write down three things that are physically impossible. Now set that list aside and write a fake diary entry about the most ordinary boring day.

1.     rising from the dead
2.     teleportation
3.     mind reader

Today was a quiet day. There was tea and movies and rain. I didn’t cook. I did shower. I forgot to read the mail even though I peered into the mailbox. I ate chocolate covered almonds and didn’t go to work. Got a carwash, filled up the tank. Wished the sun would set and tried to sleep. Wrote this.

Now, get that list. Choose one of the impossible things. Rewrite the journal entry as a person who (fortunately or unfortunately) has the impossible power/ability you chose.

Today was a quiet day
There was tea and movies and rain
and everyone was thinking so loud through it all.
I didn’t cook, felt the recipes would be too much for me
I did shower, a quiet soggy reprieve.
There are memories and sounds that live inside walls that you can’t hear and wouldn’t want to.
I am cursed.
I forgot to read the mail even though
my mind peered into the mailbox, through the envelopes.
I ate chocolate covered almonds
and didn’t go to work-
too loud.
I got a carwash.
The man in the car behind me is worried about rotting fruit,
how the rain will leave the hood with streaks.
The kid pumping my gas misses the kid who broke it off,
wants a raise.
I wished the sun would set so I could try to sleep.
Wrote this,
heard it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment